Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Word

On studying the Word. I listened to a John MacArthur podcast while driving earlier today. Some notes:
First I shake the whole tree, that the ripest fruit might fall. Then I climb the tree and shake each limb, and then each branch, and then each twig, and then I look under each leaf.
[Martin Luther]

Read:

1) Contextually: Understand the setting of the passage

2) Literally: God's Word was given to be understood clearly. Read what is there rather than imposing your own meaning upon it

3) Meditatively: Think and pray through what you're reading

4) Synthetically: Meaning, synthesize what you're reading in the context of God's whole story of redemption, and in particular, other passages of Scripture you may be reading the same day

5) Principlely: A lot can be said or take place within a passage. Look for the main principle and focus on that principle to drive practical application into your life.

No comments: