Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2 Lessons from Corporate Presentations

The corporate dance.

A couple times a week various firms come to campus and tell us how wonderful they are. And then we tell them how wonderful we think they are. And we all smile and laugh and act interested in each other. That's the dance.

........

Two of the most popular consulting firms are (1) McKinsey (2) Bain. These two firms characterized themselves in two memorable quotes that I think do and should reflect a college ministry.

1) McKinsey - "Leadership Factory" It's widely noted that McKinsey has produced more CEOs than any other company and is referred to as "the best CEO launch pad."

Now, in a fellowship context we're obviously not looking to produce CEOs. But we also don't want a fellowship of by-standers, spectators, and club members. We are looking to raise God-centered leaders who will influence their church, community and world for the glory of God.

2) Bain - "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" Bain is another top consulting firm that hires bright and highly motivated people. In addition, Bain emphasizes the support fellow employees have for one another.

In leading a fellowship, responsibilities can feel overwhelming at times. I remember when I was hitting crunch time applying for business schools I certainly felt that way. I asked Dan if he could teach Prodigal God for a month straight, so I would have time to work on my essays. Of course, Dan said yes, but if he hadn't - you all would've gotten horrible lessons on Prodigal God from me and I probably would've bombed by essays as well. The R8 leaders have really come to the rescue when I needed it.

So, I hope that during your time in R8, you all grow as leaders and you know that R8 has your back.

1 comment:

Anita Liu said...

very well explained using your business analogy ;)