Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Prayer for the New Year

As I thought about the New Year I reflected on areas in which I really wanted to grow. It's easy make a list of 10 things to work on, but that's probably too much so I've focused on three. I think you'll be able to relate to these and find it helpful. These are my prayers for you and for myself:

1) Fight for Purity: Purity is a pursuit. It is inevitably a pursuit during which we will stumble and appear to fail. But the only failure is to concede - rather than choosing to continue to struggle, we submit. Cultivate a persevering passion for a pure heart and a hunger to see God.

"Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be." - Jonathan Edwards

2) Courage to be Vulnerable: We wear so many masks we don't even realize when we're not being real. But in each of us there is an aching to be genuine and a yearning to be known by God and by others. Though it may terrify us, it will restore us.

3) Depth of Discipleship: We can be surrounded by Christian friends yet have no depth of discipleship. Discipleship by definition doesn't just happen - it is intentional and it takes work. Accountability seeks accountability in an environment of acceptance. We are called to share our burdens and carry them for one another. We are instructed to confess our sin, not to burden us with guilt, but to set us free.

No comments: