Now that I'm in business school, my brain is linking economic, strategic, statistic and accounting principles to spiritual (true) reality.
What do I mean?
"Creation of economic value never takes place in the abstract; it always occurs in the context of particular customers"
OK, I'm not sure what exactly that means either, but here's my thought:
The Problem
One of the most fundamental struggles I've observed in church and ministry leadership is the large and growing disparity between [A = abstract ideas, intentions, conversations, brainstorming] and [E= execution].
That is, A-E is growing. I see lots of A, but little E. Little E results in little V [spiritual value]. Spiritual value only occurs in the context of real people.
Hope you're not lost.
Intention, Idealization and Conversation Are Not Enough
Spiritual benefit or spiritual value never occurs in the abstract.
1. Intention: It doesn't do anything to intend to pray for someone, or intend to disciple a student, or intend to prepare for a bible study. It also doesn't do anything at all. No V.
2. Idealization: This is hard for head leaders not to do. We like to sit and think of what an ideal ministry or church would look like. And then we look at how things are and we get depressed or frustrated. Idealization is good to identify weaknesses, areas of improvement, opportunities for change - but if all we do is say, "I wish...." then that's all we ever do.
3. Conversation: I'm not going to say that conversation produces no value. In fact it's a necessary component or step towards creating real value and change. But some people are just fans of conversation of ideas and just leave it at that. If all one does is converse but never really creates, I actually think one engages in destruction of V. So please converse to create, change, convict, but don't converse just to have conversation.
So....
So, my encouragement to you is to remember that creating and delivering 'spiritual value' takes place in people only when we execute or act on intentions and ideas generated from conversation.
2 comments:
You didn't really need to go to business school to learn that. I feel like you say that already. :-P
what a good student you are. haha
thanks for the reminder.
especially about conversation.
Post a Comment