This past Sunday marked the end of our class, "The Prodigal God" - the last class I'll officially teach before heading off to business school. It's been an incredible experience teaching over the past couple of years. It was a joy to be able to teach to high school students, college students, young adults and older / middle-aged adults. It was also a privilege to teach all these classes with Dan over the past two years.
- Digging In - Prep for College
- Future Grace by John Piper
- Reason for God by Timothy Keller
- Knowledge of the Holy / Attributes of God by AW Tozer and others
- The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller (and Tale of Two Sons by John MacArthur)
I thought about what other classes I wanted to teach. Here are some:
1. Arcing - A graphical tool used to determine, document and discuss the flow of thought in Biblical text. I came across arcing a few years back. I was fascinated and wanted to learn how to do this well and consequently have the Word open up to me in mind-blowing ways.
2. Spiritual Leadership - One of the greatest needs of our church.* I yearn to see more spiritual leadership. I'm thankful for administrators, organizers, managers, coordinators, etc. But I really long to see men and women (especially young men) step up, and take the lead. I want guys that are willing to toil, persevere and carry a heavy burden of love for and service to others....guys that model Christ.
3. Desiring God / Christian Hedonism - Lots of people have been affected by this book, but to greatly varying degrees. On one side are people who found the book horribly repetitive, overly heady and impractical. I'm way on the other side. This book completely re-arranged my entire life. Though we did not teach through Desiring God explicitly, I hope that people in our classes and R8 have gotten a solid sense of Christian Hedonism.
4. Pleasures of God - It would serve our church well to spend more extended time studying and meditating on God Himself. This seems obvious, but we waste a whole lot of time on meaningless stuff and frivolous activities. Sinclair Ferguson said it well - "We've become experts in everything except the one thing we should become experts in as Christians."
5. Romans - If at anytime I truly believed I were ready to teach this book I would have. I'm in awe of this book. Maybe when I'm 50. Truly, the greatest letter ever written.
6. Doctrine of the Church (Ecclesiology) - One of the deadliest assumptions for a church to make is to assume that its people know why the Church (big C) and the church (little c) exists. We really don't know why.
7. The Puritans - These guys really got the shaft in my school history books. The Puritans left an incredible legacy and wealth of writing that is pure treasure. I really wanted to teach this class but (1) no one would teach it with me (2) it was said people wouldn't come. I would really love to walk through some essentials of Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, Richard Baxter, Stephen Charnock...
8. Humility - Just Kidding. I would never be remotely qualified to teach that.
Note: These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone or any group at RCCC, nor are they aimed at anyone or any particular group at RCCC.
3 comments:
Haha, nice disclaimer
love the christian hedonism stuff.
i remember when you taught that in the prep for college class.
I hope this year's class as just as affected by that.
Post a Comment