
An open sewer runs through Kibera in Nairobi, Kenya, the largest slum in Africa
(Population: 1,000,000)
(Population: 1,000,000)
One billion people do not have safe water to drink. Sixteen thousand children die every day from hunger related illnesses. Almost eighteen million children are orphaned in sub-Saharan Africa.
And I sit in my leather chair searching for more toys to buy for myself on the internet.
That sure puts things in perspective.
This year I received a 20% bonus from my employer. It's the largest amount of money I've ever received at once. And out of obedience to God I'm going to give 20% of it to missions organizations and charities. I'm not trying to boost my ego by posting this. I want to encourage and inspire you to give generously to those in need. Yes, even you college students. Cultivate a habit of worshipful giving in your finances now so that when you start making money later it will be easier. Despite what you may think, it will only become harder later on.
“God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving” -Randy Alcorn
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rustdestroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” - Matthew 6:19-21
“Sell your possessions and give to the needy” -Luke 12:33
No comments:
Post a Comment