

Hello Everybody,
We have arrived safely in Kenya and we are staying Rosa Mystica Spiritual Center. It is not what it sounds like.
The flight to London was very smooth and we were thoroughly impressed by the food and service of British Air. The only nerve-wracking portion of the flight was the layover at London Heathrow Aiport. The lines moved very slowly and they did very "intimate" checks on people who set the metal detectors off. Wilson, Anita and Wen all set the metal detectors off. Luckily, Daniel did not. However, we did manage to make it in time.
Our accommodations are really nice and not what I was expecting at all. It's definitely nicer than some dorms at Rutgers (cough davidson cough). We have running water, hot showers, and a bottle of filtered water to drink every night. Can't really ask for more :)
This morning we met our security guard at the Rosa Mystica Spiritual Center. His name is David and one of the first things he said to us was, "Your president's father is from Kenya!"
Right now, I am writing an update from Nairobi Java House. We plan on visiting Huruma Children's Home,Masai Land, and three mainland Chinese people who our contact here has been trying to minister to. Huruma and Masai are both orphanages.
Attached are two pictures that Wilson took from his iphone. Also, the first thing we saw was an iphone billboard. Yes, Steve Job's evil empire extends all the way to Kenya.
Below is a journal entry written by Wilson this morning:
Day 1 - Morning
Wake up around 5am to the sound of someone chanting-singing, distant but loudly. With passion, or is it with familiarity? I can't tell.
I think I hear a train but I'm not sure. Familiar sounds are no longer trusted to conjure familiar imaginations. Birds and crickets, definitely hear them. Crickets first then birds. Birds are the soloists, crickets are the backup choir-you hear them if you listen for them
I woke up several times during the night to readjust my mosquito net. I slept with my flashlight next to me. With it nearby, I somehow felt more secure.
It's 5:47am. I've been awake for the past 45 min. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be tired. Very disoriented. It's almost 10 pm at home, 7 pm in LA. I'm constantly calculating. Everyone does that right? It's not just me.
Last night driving in-saw some major corporations, car companies of course, Barclays...and 2 huge billboards for the iPhone.
Someone blows their nose-is that Anita across the hall? I can't tell. And I can't text her to ask. I feel disconnected. I can use Safaricom out here, but what exactly is that anyway?
A familiar sound- my stomach growling. It must know that it's 10pm back home. My biological clock is my stomach? That wouldn't be good. I'm always hungry.
Take care everybody,
Uganda/Kenya Team
No comments:
Post a Comment