Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm a Guilty Drive-Texter

Typically when I get work related safety emails I skim and delete. This one had a video attached that caught my attention.


Cell Phone Use While Driving - Fact Sheet
(Studies by University of Utah, Summer 2006)

  1. Drivers who use cell phones are four times more likely to be in a crash while using a cell phone. (1997 New England Journal of Medicine examination of hospital records and 2005 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study linking crashes to cell phone records).

  2. There is no difference in the cognitive distraction between hand-held and hands-free devices.

  3. Talking to a passenger while driving is significantly safer than talking on a cell phone.

  4. Talking on a cell phone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, even if the phone is a hands-free model. (orly??)

  5. Almost 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds of the event. The most common distraction is the use of cell phones, followed by drowsiness.

3 comments:

Wilson said...

I know someone who reads and writes emails while talking on the phone while driving

Eric said...

dang. okay I admit I've read emails at traffic lights... but I never responded haha

Steve said...

I've watched Youtube while driving