Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Break Time

Books I read as I write my business school essays



These books gives me ideas for essay writing material AND they stimulate a lot of thoughts about church leadership and organization:

1. The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner
2. Managing the Nonprofit Organization by Peter Drucker
3. Good to Great and the Social Sectors by Jim Collins

I do recommend reading these books, but not as a substitute for reading soul nourishing material - like the books below (except for The Blueprint - don't take that the wrong way if you ever read this Jaeson)

Other books I'm going through
1. The ESV Study Bible - I recently started using the ESV Study Bible reading plan. I bookmarked this page on my iPhone so that I can read it everywhere I go. Everywhere.
2. The Knowledge of the Holy - This is for Sunday School. And yes you should read the book even though you have amazing teachers.
3. The Blueprint by Jaeson Ma - I pretty much finished this book. It's basically about a 'movement' to plant churches on college campuses. Some good stuff has come out of it surely andI'm always for people meeting Jesus. There are a couple of issues I'm in tension over. One is the idea of a "simple church" that is being considered a "real church" but without the weekly authoritative preaching of the word by a pastor/elder. My view: No regular preaching of the word = no church.
4. Lectures to my Students by Charles Spurgeon - Tons of gold. I always have it on my desk.

Back to essays.

-w

No comments: